Back to Threads
Next New Reply

Migration 9-20-17

The server will be migrating to a new setup on September 20th. That said, here are some key points that all players should know:

• The IP will change, which means your favorites will have to be updated after the move. The new IP is 142.44.142.51:27015
  • The plan is to backup the data and move it to the new server.
    • The present host has to allow us access to most recent backups for this to happen, they may be jerks.
    • If they allow us access (right now we don't have access I do have access now) there is only around a 25% chance for any sort of progress to be lost, and only about 10% chance for a wipe to occur.
  • The migration date is 9-20-17.

These details are meant to keep you informed and keep your expectations realistic. Do not start a bunch of wipe hype! I am being realistic with you and hoping it doesn't bite me in the long run. Please, don't make me regret the complete transparency and honesty on the matter.

The migration is so we can get off of the present setup which has had a few issues back to back. Most notably was the approximate 6 hours of downtime. If we do not migrate to a new host, we can likely expect more downtime and there is potential for the host disappearing over night.

I understand concerns about moving and possibly losing progress. However, that possibility is small. The likelihood for either losing progress or having the host simply disappear is great due to their past behavior. The smart thing to do is to not wait for that to happen, but be proactive while we still have a chance of getting the final backups for a migration.

I'm still working out the details on the migration, so be sure to check back often.

EDIT 9-7-17:

do have access to the backups. The risk is extremely minimal. There should be no logical reason that a wipe happens, and there should be a very, very minimal chance of losing any sort of progress at all.

EDIT 9-13-17

The IP will be: 142.44.142.51:27015 and is technically playable right now. However, nothing has been brought over from the current server. On 9-20 everything will be brought over from the present server to the new server. That said, if you do anything on the new IP before the migration, that will all be lost. Just stick to the old server for now.

Posted by Archimodes 2 weeks ago

Replies (6)

Formatting
All Comments

RedWirlwind 2 weeks ago

Crossing fingers so that this progress goes smoothly. a wipe will be hurtful after all the hard work and time we have dedicated to this server. (permafrost member) Reply

Archimodes 2 weeks ago

Agreed. I've migrated somewhere around 5-6 times so far, and have never had a full wipe happen. The worst that happened was the loss of about 4 hours worth of work. However, leading up to the migration I will make sure there are plenty of backups to hopefully combat that.

Archimodes 6 days ago

Updated. Reply

Archimodes a week ago

Updated, the date is 9-20. Reply

Archimodes 2 weeks ago

cool Reply

Archimodes 2 weeks ago

So apparently there's a strange bug here. Whoever posted this, mind posting here again? I need to figure out why some comments say they are from me when they clearly are not.